Planning Objections

Objecting to a Planning Proposal

If you disapprove of a development on noise grounds you should object. One of the first challenges is finding out about the proposal. However, you should be informed if there is a chance you might be affected by the proposal.

The proposal should be available to view online on the Council’s website. View the plans and any associated correspondence first.

The planner will consider the application in line with their policies. So should you. Obtain a copy of their local development framework (which may consist of a number of documents including a core strategy and development plan documents). They may also produce supplemental planning guidance relating to noise or environmental impact. They will also make reference to the National Planning Policy Framework.

Writing Your Objection

Once you have informed yourself of the proposal and referenced any relevant procedures or standards you should write to or email the Planning Department with detail of your objection. It is not essential but, where you feel that the proposed development breaches (or goes against the spirit of) any of the relevant planning policy documents it may help your cause to reference it.

Make sure that your objection is completed before the advertised time limit.

Do not include any claims or information that may be considered rude, offensive or potentially libelous; and do not exaggerate any point. Your narrative should be based on the likely impact of the development on the amenity or character of the neighbourhood; this includes impact from noise or unnecessary increase in the density of the immediate population or dwelling numbers.

Other than noise there may be other concerns you have relating to the effect that the development may have on the neighbourhood. You should also include those as they may be relevant (e.g. loss of view, out-of-character proposal or highway safety).

Encourage your neighbours to make their own objection.

Deciding on the Application

Decisions on applications are often taken by officers under delegated powers. However, your local Councillor may get the decision referred to a planning committee or sub-committee so that the detail of the proposal may be properly debated. It is therefore important that you contact your local Councillor and request that they intervene. In order to do this, send a copy of your original email to the Planning Department to your Ward Councillor and ask them to support your objection.

Committees are usually held in public where you will be given an opportunity to speak. You don’t have to say anything (you can just observe) but, as long as you get across some relevant points, it may help your cause. Your turn will be time-limited (usually 3 minutes) so you must prepare what you intend saying beforehand. It is polite to tell the Committee Clerk a few days before that you intend on speaking.

Keep your fingers crossed.