How Sensitive Are You?
We tend to be concerned about real problems; those that affect peoples’ personal comfort and wellbeing (and there are plenty of those!). However, levels of noise vary along with people’s perception of it’s severity. Occasionally we come across people who are more sensitive to everyday issues than others.
We put together a quick quiz so that you can test your sensitivity. Before you read any further, answer the following 15 questions as honestly as you can. Make a note of whether you agree with the statements or not.
1. You have a keen attention to detail.
2. You don’t like loud environments like bars.
3. One should not be able to hear neighbours in the evenings when relaxing at home.
4. You are a light sleeper.
5. You are a shift worker.
6. You grew up in a quiet environment.
7. You need the comfort of your own bed.
8. You are happy having an occasional daytime sleep.
9. You are a very conscientious person.
10. You always have to be on time.
11. You prefer to exercise alone rather than in a group.
12. You often feel concern for other people.
13. You often feel concern for other people.
14. You really don’t like open-office environments.
15. You find it hard to concentrate when more than one conversation is taking place.
If you agreed to over half of the above statements then you might be a sensitive person. There is nothing wrong with that; often sensitive people are kind, generous and make good workmates. Don’t be upset or disheartened if you score highly. In the UK many thousands of people with varying sensitivities suffer from noise nuisance problems each year.
Sometimes it can help to put the problem into perspective; this quiz aims at helping you to think objectively about your problem. Trust your instinct though; don’t allow this to put you off from taking the matter further. If you think you have an excessive noise problem the likelihood is that you’ll be much happier when you get it sorted.