Neighbouring local authority

in Investigation Process

We are intermittently and irregularly bothered by noise from a public sports facility opposite our home. It was built several years after we moved in and we have made representations about noise levels, some of which have improved. Our neighbours seem less bothered than we are – some are slightly deaf, do not open windows or perhaps are not at home at the wrong time. The facility is in a different local authority from ours. If we cannot negotiate successfully with the facility, do we complain to our own authority or the one where the noise happens?

The situation you describe is something that can be dealt with by the local authority where you are situated. They have a duty to respond to allegations of nuisance made to them by residents of their area and have powers to serve notices – even if the perpetrator is situated outside your Borough.